Windows Server powers many of the worlds’ largest datacenters, enables small businesses around the world and delivers value to organizations of all sizes in between. Windows Server 2012 redefines the server category, delivering hundreds of new features and enhancements spanning virtualization, networking, storage, user experience, cloud computing, automation, and more. Simply put, Windows Server 2012 helps you transform your IT operations to reduce costs and deliver a whole new level of business value.
With Windows Server 2012, Microsoft delivers a server platform built on our experience of building and operating many of the world’s largest cloud-based services and datacenter. Whether you are setting-up a single server for your small business or architecting a major new datacenter environment, Windows Server 2012 will help you cloud-optimize your IT so you can fully meet your organization’s unique needs.
Offers a dynamic, multitenant infrastructure to help you scale and secure workloads and build a private cloud. Windows Server 2012 can help you provide:
- Complete Virtualization Platform
A fully-isolated, multitenant environment with tools that can help guarantee service level agreements, enable usage-based chargeback, and support self-service delivery.
Improved Scalability and Performance
A high-density, scalable environment that you can modify to perform at an optimum level based on your needs.
Connecting to Cloud Services
A common identity and management framework to enable highly secure and reliable cross-premises connectivity.
The Power of Many Servers, the Simplicity of One
Delivers a highly available and easy to manage cloud-optimized platform. Windows Server 2012 can help you provide:
- Flexible Storage
Diverse storage choices that can help you achieve high performance, availability, and storage resource efficiency through virtualization and storage conservation.
New and improved features that provide cost-effective, highly available services with protection against a wide range of failure scenarios.
Automation of a broad set of management tasks and simplified deployment of workloads as you move toward full, lights-out automation.
Every App, Any Cloud
Offers a cloud-optimized server platform that gives you the flexibility to build and deploy applications and websites on-premises, in the cloud, or across both. Windows Server 2012 can help you deliver:
- Flexibility to Build On-Premises and in the Cloud
A consistent set of tools and frameworks that enables developers to build symmetrical or hybrid applications across the datacenter and the cloud.
- A Scalable and Elastic Infrastructure
New features to help you increase website density and efficiency, plus frameworks, services, and tools to increase the scalability and elasticity of modern applications.
- An Open Web and App Development Environment
An open platform that enables mission-critical applications and provides enhanced support for open standards, open-source applications, and various development languages.
Modern Workstyle, Enabled
Provides users with flexible access to data and applications while simplifying management and maintaining security, control, and compliance. Windows Server 2012 can help you offer:
- Access to Applications and Data from Virtually Anywhere, Any Device
Seamless, on-demand access to virtualized work environments from virtually anywhere.
- A Full Windows Experience Anywhere
A personalized and rich user experience from virtually any device that adapts to different network conditions quickly and responsively.
- Enhanced Data Security and Compliance
Granular access to data and corporate resources based on strong identity, data classification, and centralized policy administration and auditing.
Windows Server 2012 includes a robust set of technologies for optimum flexibility. Learn more about the capabilities of Windows Server 2012.
- Server Virtualization
Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V provides a complete virtualization platform, providing increased scalability and performance with an elastic and flexible solution from the data center to the cloud. It’s now easier than ever for organizations to realize cost savings from virtualization and to optimize server hardware investments.
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in Windows Server 2012 makes it possible for users to access IT from virtually anywhere on popular devices, providing them a rich Windows experience while ensuring enhanced data security and compliance.
Windows Server 2012 provides an array of new and enhanced features that help reduce networking complexity, making it easier to connect users to IT resources, efficiently manage your data center and private clouds, and easily link your infrastructure with public cloud services.
- Identity and Access
Windows Server 2012 makes it easier for administrators to protect corporate resources, build strong data access management and protection, and simplify the deployment of identity management infrastructure.
- Storage: Windows Server 2012 provides greater efficiency, performance, and innovation through diverse storage choices. New features and enhancements for disk, network, and storage area network storage solutions provide greater choice and flexibility while ensuring high availability and uptime.
- Server Management and Automation: Windows Server 2012 offers excellent total cost of ownership as an integrated platform with comprehensive, multi-server manageability that provides increased management efficiency, simplified deployment of servers and server roles, and resilient automation.
- Web and Application Platform: Windows Server 2012 provides enormous flexibility through hybrid, symmetrical, and web-based applications on-premises and in the cloud, increased scalability and elasticity for applications and enhanced support for open frameworks and open source.
Windows Server 2012 brings Microsoft’s experience building and operating public clouds to customers running the Windows Server platform. It can help you deliver and manage a cost-effective IT infrastructure – both physical and virtual. It provides a modern, open application platform for both today’s software applications and tomorrow’s hybrid cloud solutions. And it helps you provide users with access from almost anywhere and any device, giving them the flexibility to stay productive while on the go.
Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V improves both scalability and performance. It helps you deliver a fully-isolated, multitenant environment that includes tools to help guarantee SLAs, enable chargebacks, and support self-service scenarios. With Windows Server 2012 Datacenter you can continually increase your VM density without additional licensing costs for virtualizing infrastructure and applications.
With Hyper-V Network Virtualization, you can also virtualize your networks and enable software-defined networking. This provides the flexibility to move networks freely within your datacenter or to a hosting provider without reconfiguration. It also provides network isolation among the VMs running on different virtual networks, enabling multitenant environments.
Windows Server 2012 provides new storage scenarios which offer high availability on industry-standard server hardware. Make the most of your storage by thin-provisioning and trimming VM storage, pooling diverse storage resources, and abstracting them for flexible usage throughout your environment. Use file servers as file-based network storage for application dataâ€” now with the high levels of performance and reliability, those scenarios require.
Modern App Platform
Windows Server 2012 is a broad, scalable, and elastic server platform that gives you the flexibility to build, deploy, and manage applications and websites on-premises, in the cloud, or in a hybrid environment, using a consistent set of tools and frameworks.
Programming consistency and common development tools between Windows Server 2012 and Windows Azure can help ease the transition to the cloud, while enabling hybrid applications across on-premises, service provider, and Windows Azure clouds.
Windows Server 2012 provides frameworks, services, and tools to help increase scalability and elasticity for applications that support multitenancy, and improve website density and efficiency. This both benefits IT professionals in traditional datacenters and also helps service providers to more effectively build, provision, and manage hosting environments.
Windows Server 2012 offers enhanced support for open frameworks, open source applications, and development languages. Web standards, PHP, and node.js are supported, while .NET Framework 4.5 offers features and improvements such as support for asynchronous file operations, web, and networking enhancements.
The modern workstyle is defined by flexibility in how and where users access their data and applications. In Windows Server 2012, centralized desktops and remote access solutions have been made easier to deploy and to manage, providing an easier way to give users more secure access to corporate infrastructure.
Windows Server 2012 enables a personalized, rich user experience from many more devices while adapting to different network conditions quickly and responsively. Remote users can change locations or devices while maintaining an experience close to that of a laptop or PC, enabling them to maintain their productivity.
Windows Server 2012 features intelligent security infrastructure that helps you enhance data security and compliance with granular access to data based on strong identity and device security status. These features also enable flexible and powerful audit rules, which help achieve compliance with applicable regulations.
The following are estimated system requirements for the Windows Server 2012. If your computer has less than the “”minimum”” requirements, you will not be able to install this product correctly. Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you install.
Processor performance depends not only on the clock frequency of the processor, but also on the number of processor cores and the size of the processor cache. The following are the processor requirements for this product:
- Minimum: 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor
RAM: The following are the estimated RAM requirements for this product:
- Minimum: 512 MB
Disk space requirements: The following are the estimated minimum disk space requirements for the system partition.
- Minimum: 32 GB
Note: Be aware that 32 GB should be considered an absolute minimum value for successful installation. The system partition will need extra space for any of the following circumstances:
- If you install the system over a network.
- Computers with more than 16 GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files.
You also need to have the following:
- DVD drive
- Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution monitor
- Keyboard and Microsoft mouse (or other compatible pointing device)
- Internet access (fees may apply)
Important information for x64-based operating systems
Ensure that you have updated and digitally signed kernel-mode drivers for Windows Server 2012
If you install a Plug and Play device, you may receive a warning if the driver is not digitally signed. If you install an application that contains a driver that is not digitally signed, you will not receive an error during Setup. In both cases, Windows Server 2012 will not load the unsigned driver.
If you are not sure whether the driver is digitally signed, or if you are unable to boot into your computer after the installation, use the following procedure to disable the driver signature requirement. This procedure enables your computer to start correctly, and the unsigned driver will load successfully.
To disable the signature requirement for the current boot process:
- Restart the computer and during startup, press F8.
- Select Advanced Boot Options.
- Select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.
- Boot into Windows and uninstall the unsigned driver.
Before you start Setup
Before you install Windows Server 2012, follow the steps in this section to prepare for the installation.
- Disconnect UPS devices. If you have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) connected to your destination computer, disconnect the serial cable before running Setup. Setup automatically attempts to detect devices that are connected to serial ports, and UPS equipment can cause issues with the detection process.
- Back up your servers. Your backup should include all data and configuration information that is necessary for the computer to function. It is important to perform a backup of configuration information for servers, especially those that provide network infrastructure, such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. When you perform the backup, be sure to include the boot and system partitions and the system state data. Another way to back up configuration information is to create a backup set for Automated System Recovery.
- Disable your virus protection software. Virus protection software can interfere with installation. For example, it can make installation much slower by scanning every file that is copied locally to your computer.
- Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. You should run this tool to test the RAM on your computer. To use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, follow the instructions in the Windows Memory Diagnostic Users Guide
- Provide mass storage drivers. If your manufacturer has supplied a separate driver file, save the file to a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or Universal Serial Bus (USB) flash drive in either the root directory of the media or the amd64 folder. To provide the driver during Setup, on the disk selection page, clickLoad Driver (or press F6). You can browse to locate the driver or have Setup search the media.
- Be aware that Windows Firewall is on by default. Server applications that must receive unsolicited inbound connections will fail until you create inbound firewall rul s to allow them. Check with your application vendor to determine which ports and protocols are necessary for the application to run correctly.
|License Type||New License|